SOCIALISM 2014 CAPITALISM IS ORGANIZED CRIME:
What: an International Educational Conference
When: May 23-24, 2014
Where: OISE, U. of Toronto 252 Bloor St. W. Room 2-212 (just above the St. George Subway Station)
- $15 in advance for weekend;
- $20 at door for the weekend;
- $5 per session or PWYC.
3 p.m. Registration opens, literature sale
4 p.m. Capitalism Damns the Environment
- Eva Portillo, Coordinator of Latin American and Caribbean Solidarity Network;
- Malu Baumgarten, Toronto Socialist Action;
- Marc Bonhomme, member Quebec Solidaire, in Montreal.
7 p.m. Scandals, Repression and Corporate Dictatorship
- Barry Weisleder, federal secretary, Socialist Action – Canada;
- Jaime Gonzalez, LUS (Socialist Unity League) – Mexico;
- Chris Hutchinson, Socialist Action USA, Connecticut.
10 a.m. Science: For Profit, or for People?
- with special guest speaker Cliff Conner. He is the author of “A Peoples’ History of Science”, and teaches history at the City University of New York Graduate Center.
[12 noon lunch break]
1 p.m. When Labour Won
- Julius Arscott, SA Canada;
- Chris Hutchinson – SA U.S.A.; Marc Bonhomme – Quebec Solidaire;
- Lindsay Hinshelwood, auto worker at Ford Oakville, was candidate for President of UNIFOR in 2013.
4 p.m. Is Inequality Inevitable?
- Claudia Espinoza, President of USGE Local 00079 (Public Service Alliance of Canada) and organizer with Justicia for Migrant Workers;
- Kaylie Tiessen from the Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives;
- John Orrett, member Toronto Firefighters Association and SA Canada.
[5:30 p.m. Supper break]
7 p.m. What Would Socialism Look Like?
with special guest speaker Cliff Conner, co-author of the new book “Imagine: Living in a Socialist USA”.
10 p.m. Social at a nearby pub Fox and Fiddle, 280 Bloor Street W. Click here for the map
co-sponsored by: Socialist Action / Ligue pour l’Action socialiste – Canadian state, Socialist Action – USA, and the Socialist Unity League (Liga Unidad Socialista) – Mexico
http://www.socialistaction.ca | (647) 986-1917 or (647) 728-9143